Recently got Invisalign® and wondering how to get the most out of it? Let’s look at the benefit of wearing your invisible teeth aligners the right way and how to get the most out of them.
Why wear Invisalign®?
Your Invisalign® are an effective, pain-free way to improve your smile by gently and gradually shifting your teeth into position. These clear, removable teeth aligners are suitable for treating a variety of teeth alignment problems and will help correct any crooked teeth, overbites or overcrowding without you needing to wear braces.
Since the aligners are virtually invisible, no one can tell that you’re wearing any. They therefore won’t know you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
The aligners are made from flexible medical-grade BPA-free thermoplastic specifically engineered for orthodontic treatment. This combination of benefits makes Invisalign® the ideal cosmetic dental treatment for improving your smile.
How does Invisalign® work?
If you’re considering invisible teeth aligners, the first step is to speak to a dentist who is also an Invisalign® consultation. They can determine whether you’re a suitable candidate. They do an assessment and take some x-rays and scans of your teeth. If you’re a suitable candidate, then they custom design your Invisalign® and start your treatment.
Invisalign® is also a progressive treatment, meaning your dentist gives you a new set every two weeks until your teeth have moved into the desired position. You then book an appointment every six to eight weeks to check how your treatment is progressing.
Once your first set of invisible aligners are ready, your dentist demonstrates how to wear them. It’s very easy. Basically, you slot the aligners over your teeth each day and wear them for no less than 20 hours a day. You can remove them as easily to eat and drink whatever you want, and to take them off to brush and floss your teeth — all done without the common concerns associated with braces.
How can I get the most out of my Invisalign®?
Here are six ways to get the most out of your invisible aligners:
1. Clean you aligners regularly. Never wear dirty aligners. Give them a good clean with your toothbrush every night. Then if you take them off during the day, you rinse or wipe them before you slide them back into place. This prevents unpleasant smells and discoloration and reduces the chance of plaque build-up under your aligners. Ask your dentist about the best cleaning solutions for your Invisalign®. We don’t recommend cleaning with toothpaste as that, too, can cause discoloration.
2. Wear your aligners every day without fail. Avoid leaving your aligners out longer than necessary. We suggest wearing them 20 to 22 hours per day for best results. If you’re not wearing them, they won’t work, and your teeth won’t straighten (or it might take longer to achieve the result). However, if you feel pain when wearing your aligners, take them off and contact your dentist.
3. Take your aligners out when eating and drinking. Food will get stuck against the Invisalign® and cause bacteria to get to your teeth and gums and form into plaque over your teeth. That’s what causes tooth cavities. Any sugar in the drinks will make your aligners feel sticky, and there’s a good chance that the colouring in the food and drinks will stain the aligners.
4. Clean your mouth after eating. If you don’t clean your teeth and gums before putting your aligners back in after eating, you may find your aligners a bit uncomfortable. They will also start to smell. Make it a habit to brush your teeth or at least rinse your mouth with water before sliding your aligners back into place.
5. Do not smoke while wearing your aligners. Smoking causes discoloration that’s impossible to remove. Why wear invisible aligners if you’re going to make them become visible? Keep your Invisalign® clean so your teeth look their best as they straighten.
6. Be patient. Beautiful smiles come to those who wait. Invisalign® is not a quick fix. It might take weeks to a year to see results, or it could take a few years based on the misalignment of your teeth. But if you’re ever concerned and are worried about the progress rate, discuss it with your dentist at your next appointment.
Who offers invisible braces near me?
When you’re ready to explore how to use invisible aligners to improve your smile and boost your confidence, search for “invisible braces near me” and book an appointment with an Invisalign® consultation.
Our articles are not intended to be a substitute for professional dental advice, diagnosis, or treatment with your dentist, dental hygienist, or another medical professional. We recommend always contact our professional team if you or the person you care for has any concerns about their oral health.